Friday 4 November 2016

DTH at a Glance: Presidentially pissed

President Barack Obama visited our campus yesterday. You probably knew that, your family members probably knew that, your dog maybe knew that and all of our sunburned reporters who camped out to cover the event definitely knew that.

I knew that, but the reality didn't sink in until I walked out of my mid-campus dorm to take out my trash before my not-canceled classes and ran into a line that ran all the way down to that weird Subway at the bottom of Rams. I think a thousand students saw me throw out about two weeks worth of takeout trash I can't afford and I've made my peace with that. Mostly because the drumline paused outside my mid-campus dorm window and provided a soundtrack for my non-presidential angst before going on to play the National Anthem with James Taylor or whatever it was they did. I don't know. I wasn't there.

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

    President Obama arrived to campus at around 3 o'clock, but many students had been camped out to see him since the night before (technically not allowed, but I'm not a snitch). We caught up with the early birds while they passed the time.
    African-American archives and histories are often overlooked by historical collections. Chaitra Powell of the Southern Historical Collection is trying to change that for UNC.
    The Supreme Court will hear a case concerning transgender bathroom rights. While the suit originated with a high school student in Virginia, it could have a serious impact on North Carolina's bathroom laws.
    We've all been there, girl. Here are 100 things to do instead of studying, as told by a very tired Swerve writer.

IN OFFENSIVE AGEISM

UNC football lost three seniors in the early stages of the 2016 season, but they've turned the situation into a strength. I try to do the same thing because I skipped a grade and am very young for a college sophomore, but instead of turning into a conference-leading offensive powerhouse, I'm just called a 12-year-old a lot. (I'm 18 and that joke stopped being funny around my high school sophomore year.)

IN FEE FORUMS

The Tuition and Fee Advisory Task Force met to discuss the proposed business school fee (again) and how much money graduate students should be charged if they're residents or non-residents of N.C.

IN POSTHUMOUS POLITICIANS

Durham District 30 Representative Paul Luebke died on Saturday at the age of 70 from lymphoma. His legacy will live on through North Carolina's 2009 Racial Justice Act, but also in his continued presence on the 2016 ballot. If he is re-elected (which is very likely), the N.C. Democratic Party will pick a replacement.

Resource: http://www.dailytarheel.com/blog/dth-at-a-glance/2016/11/dth-at-a-glance-presidentially-pissed

No comments:

Post a Comment